Football at Notre Dame is a passion for millions across the country who appreciate its rich traditions. Here are some of our favorites:
- The helmets evoking the Golden Dome in all its majesty.
- The game-day procession of coaches and players from Mass at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
- A campus so beautiful it defines a college setting, especially on game day.
- Millions of ND fans across the country who have never set foot on the campus.
- The gleam in a longtime Notre Dame fan’s eyes when finally experiencing a football weekend at ND.
- The Grotto, where Notre Dame students have gathered, prayed, lit candles and felt the spirit for more than 110 years.
- The student body’s intense pride in a team that lives, studies and prays alongside them.
- The proud legacy of 11 teams named consensus national champions;
- Seven Fighting Irish players who have won the Heisman Trophy;
- A heritage of players who have been named All-Americans….and a host of others who epitomize the meaning of the phrase “student-athlete.”
- Famous moments in monumental games – upset victories, comeback wins, streak-stoppers and title clinchers – and the people who made them possible.
- Notre Dame Stadium – the house that Rock built — steeped in history, modernized and expanded in 1997, yet still a classic sports icon, far removed from the wall-to-wall ads and piped-in noise so common in major college stadiums today.
- “And here it is….the Band of the Fighting Irish….America’s first University band, with students from across the country and overseas, and representing every field of study.”
All this and more is Notre Dame football. And it is all celebrated here at Forever Irish.